Thursday, December 3, 2009

Im a junior in high school, how many colleges should i apply to?

what im askin is for the minimum number of colleges i should apply to.


and if you wanna get best answer, answer this too.


how many of them should be reach, and how many safety?Im a junior in high school, how many colleges should i apply to?
I applied to 3: 1 reach (University of Florida) 1 that I was pretty sure I could get into (University of South Florida, I did get into) and 1 I knew I could get into (University of North Florida- where I actually ended up going). There's no need to apply to more than 4 schools, but you need to apply to at least 2 or 3 in my opinion. Those kids who apply to more than 4, do so for no good reason. You should narrow your choices down before you start applying, as it costs money and time to fill out the applications for the different schools. Unless you have several ';reach'; schools that you would love to get into, but aren't sure you can - then it's totally not necessary to apply to a million different places. Im a junior in high school, how many colleges should i apply to?
When I started applying, I was told to apply to 4 or 5. One being your dream school (reach), one being one you KNOW you can get into (safety) and a few in the middle.





For me, my reach was Berklee College of Music, my safety was a community college, and my ';middle'; ones were state universities.
I applied to 7. 2 or 3 you know you can get into. 2 you think your are fit for, maybe could go either way. And then two reach schools you would like to go to but maybe are out of reach. You want to give yourself options as some schools might offer you scholarships or different opportunities.
It depends on what kind of school you are applying to. If you are applying to an open access school (like a community college), you only need one application. if you are applying to state or private colleges, I'd suggest AT LEAST 3-5 applications.






I think you should apply to one safety school that you know you will get in to, one local college, and two schools of your choice. If you have good grades and extracurriculars try one really good college that exceeds your other choices.
My opinion is that you apply to at least three. One from your area, one you really want to get into, and the last one a backup college in case the first two don't work out.
you should apply to 10-20 schools.








2-4 reach schools( schools with low acceptance rates)


6-10 middle(schools which you have a decent chance)


2-6 safety schools( ones with easy admissions)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
pigment